Discussion: View Thread

Lesson Learned from Obtaining the CMA Certificaiton

• 1.  Lesson Learned from Obtaining the CMA Certificaiton

Posted 12-21-2023 01:14 PM

Hello all,

I hope everyone is as excited as myself to spend quality time with family and friends during the upcoming holidays!

In February 2023, I was able to pass Part 2 of the CMA and earn my CMA certification. After much thought about the hardships endured during the studying/testing process, I realized that obtaining the CMA provided intellectual and cognitive benefits, in addition to expert knowledge. I wanted to share the life lessons I have learned from the CMA process and hear about yours as well!

1.       Time Management

While every CMA had their own unique situation, I was working full-time while studying. With a full plate, I realized quickly that I needed to create a structured schedule in order to study effectively while maintaining adequate performance at work. This concept greatly enhanced my time-management skills, which has provided tremendous benefits in my personal life and professional career.

2.       Discipline

To elaborate further on the topic above, setting a structured schedule was only step one. The next phase in order to start my journey was execution. Following the structured schedule, which included 10–12-hour days, required utmost discipline. I credit most of my success in passing both parts of the CMA to maintaining discipline and following my schedule. It was difficult at times, but staying adamant only put myself in a better position than before, even when making popcorn and watching movies seemed like the better option.

3.        Never Give up

While I can only speak for myself, there were difficult times during the studying process, including lows grades on quizzes, difficulties understanding criteria, and balancing all other obstacles life throws at you. I would be lying if I said the thought of quitting never crossed my mind. However, I always remembered that overcoming challenges only makes you stronger as a person. With all the other benefits of obtaining the CMA, the ability to mentally and physically push through hard-times only adds to the overall sustenance. I have frequently watched Jimmy Valvano's famous speech at the 1993 ESPY awards for motivation linked here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNuCS5ZtPJg. I highly recommend watching this video to anyone who is experiencing hardships in life.

I would appreciate anyone's comments or questions regarding the topics above and any particular experiences/lessons learned from their own individual processes.

Also, I would love to get involved with the Nation's Capital Chapter so I am open to any opportunities to volunteer or speak.

Lastly, I would love to connect with everyone on Linked-in. My account is linked on my profile and also here: https://www.linkedin.com/in/nathaniel-gemmato-cma-582137192/

Thank you to all and I wish everyone a happy holiday!   

Nathaniel Gemmato, CMA

------------------------------
    Nathaniel Gemmato CMA
    Financial Advisor
    Licentia Financial LLC
    Falls Church VA
    United States
    ------------------------------